Centre County Government Benefits
You will find that Centre County has one of the best benefit packages in the area. The Human Resources staff is dedicated to keeping in touch with trends in benefits on both a local and national level, listening to employees' suggestions regarding benefits, and continually reviewing to ensure our benefits are of good quality and meet the needs of both our employees and our organization. Call (814) 355-6748 or Email for more information.
- Pay periods: County employees are paid bi to weekly. Direct Deposit is available.
- Holidays: Thirteen paid holidays.
- Vacation (annual) leave: Full-time employees earn from 10 to 24 days annually based on years of service.
- Paid sick leave: Full-time employees earn one day (7.5 to 8.0 hours) of sick leave per month, with the unused accumulation applying toward their extended sick bank. Employees may receive a cash equivalent of sick leave not to exceed 30 days upon separation of employment with the County.
- Personal days: Full-time employees accrue two days annually. Part-time employees accrue one day annually.
- Paid Parental Leave: Full-time employee may be eligible for up to 6 weeks of paid leave for the birth, adoption or placement of a child.
- Bereavement: Full-time employees may receive up to four consecutive days off for the death of an immediate family member.
- Health Care: A choice of two major medical benefits are provided, at a competitive cost to employees, for full -time employees and their eligible dependents. Following are a few brief highlights:
- Medical: In to network physicians, $30 co-pay for family practitioners and $40 co-pay for specialist office visits; $250 or $1500 deductible.
- Drug plan: Co-pays for prescriptions ($4 generic preferred, $15 generic non-preferred, $45 preferred brand, $70 non-preferred brand, and 20% coinsurance for specialty pharmacy)
- Vision plan: In to network annual eye exam provided at no cost. $75 annual allowance for contact lenses or $60 for eye glass frames.
- Dental Care: Full-time employees are provided 100% coverage of in to network annual preventive care exam; additionally, 80% of basic (comprehensive, Class II) procedures and 50% of major (non-routine, Class III) procedures are covered after a $50 deductible. Coverage is available for spouse and entire family up to a maximum of $1,000 coverage per person.
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA): Employees may elect to participate in a pretax deducted flex spending account which allows for payment of eligible medical expenses including deductibles and co-pays with pretax dollars. Employees do not need to be enrolled in health coverage to elect this benefits.
- Health Savings Account (HSA with HDHP): Employees who select the High Deductible Health Plan can enroll in the HSA. The County will contribute $500, optional employee contributed pre-tax funds.
- Life Insurance: Full-time employees receive $20,000 life insurance at no cost
- Short term disability (County Provided): Short-term benefits are available after a designated waiting period. 70% of the weekly salary is paid up to 26 weeks not to exceed $250 per week. Each claim must be approved by our short-term disability insurance carrier.
- Long term disability and supplemental Short term disability: Long-term and short-term benefits are optional; employees must purchase. Discounted rates may apply through our Disability provider.
- Supplemental Life Insurance: Additional Life insurance for employees, their spouse and children is available at great group rates through our supplemental life insurance provider.
- Tax deferred programs: Tax-sheltering programs through Nationwide or Valic are offered through 457B (Deferred Compensation) plans.
- Retirement: For employees assigned to work 20 hours per week or more, participation in the Pennsylvania Local Government Employees' Retirement System is required. Employee's contribution is 5% of salary, which is tax deferred. After five years of creditable service, you become fully vested in the retirement system. An additional taxed contribution up to another 10% is optional. Upon retirement the County contributes an actuarially determined amount.
- Employee Assistance Program: Available to full and part time employees and their immediate family members through Mazzitti & Sullivan EAP Services. Provides employees or family members a counselor at no charge for up to three sessions. It's totally confidential as required by both state and federal laws.
- Educational Expense Reimbursement: If approved: 50% tuition reimbursement upon satisfactory completion of course. If you leave within one (1) year of completion, you must reimburse the County.
- PSECU Credit Union: Personal checking/savings and loan programs.
- Verizon Wireless: 18% employee discount.
- AT&T: 17% employee discount.
County Benefits listed above are current and subject to change at any time.