- Conservation Services
- Penn State Extension
Penn State Extension
Penn State Extension in Centre County
"We believe all people should have access to science-based, unbiased education"
As part of Penn State, one of the top 20 research Institutions in the United States, Extension is dedicated to delivering unbiased, scientifically proven, evidence-based information to individuals, businesses and communities across the commonwealth and beyond. Customers can access our cutting-edge educational information when they want it, where they want it and how they want it. From the 4th generation dairy production farmer to the backyard gardener, from single parents struggling to provide healthy meals for their families to community leaders looking for information on grant writing, Extension has resources available for everyone.
Our Teams of Experts Are Here to Help You
As Pennsylvania's representative of the national land grand system, Penn State's College of Agricultural Sciences addresses the challenges of feeding a growing population while tackling the ongoing issues of developing practical sources of renewable energy, enhancing human and animal health, and protecting our air, water, forests and other natural resources. Extension funding and support comes from a combination of Federal, State and county governments, and we are committed to returning the investments to Pennsylvania citizens through targeted workshops with county-based educators and staff who understand the unique needs of the area.
Programming with You in Mind
Each program team continually gathers input from stakeholders and customers to ensure that we are working to find timely, research-based solutions in these priority areas:
4-H Youth Development
4-H Youth Development empowers young people with the skills to lead for a lifetime. It's a research-based experience that includes a mentor, a hands-on project, and meaningful leadership opportunities.
Agronomy & Natural Resources
Agronomy and Natural Resources focuses on the education of best management practices for field crop production, pest and disease management, forest and wildlife management, and the conservation of water resources.
Animal Systems is committed to enhancing and maintaining the health and welfare of equine, poultry dairy, and livestock animals.
Energy, Entrepreneurs and Community Development
Energy, Entrepreneurs and Community Development works with public, industry, business, government, education and non-governmental organizations to develop strategic planning, workforce analysis and supply chain development, as well as new and renewable energy sources.
Food, Families & Health
Food, Families and Health focuses on promoting health and well-being of individuals, families, and communities across the lifespan through programs that focus on personal, family, and intergenerational relationships; human development; strengthening families; healthy aging; and, sustainable quality of life.
Food Safety & Quality
Food Safety and Quality is responsible for providing science-based, food safety and quality education, research, and outreach activities for farmers, food processors, food handlers, and consumers across the Commonwealth.
Horticulture develops our understanding and management of agronomic and horticultural crops and managed landscapes that are the foundation for managed ecosystems, food and fiber production, landscapes and environmental quality to enhance human environments.
Connect with Us
Extension resources are available when and where you need it. Whether you prefer face-to-face interactions and workshops with our highly trained educators, or if you are searching for convenient online courses and on to demand how-to videos, Extension is available to assist. To learn more, visit Penn State Cooperative Extension . If you prefer an in to person interaction, our educators are available across the state in all 67 counties through our local extension offices or call our customer service line at 1-877-345-0691 to be directed to local resources.
Did you know?
- Youth members who participate in 4-H programs are 41% less likely to engage in high risk behaviors.
- Master Gardener volunteers assisted with research projects such as the reintroduction of the American Chestnut tree, trials of emerging flower and vegetable varieties and preservation of pollinator plants and insects. Volunteers logged over 200,812 hours of service, for a reported value of $4,819,488 to PA residents.
- Penn State researchers and Extension Educators have created specialized teams and processes to control the spread of the invasive Spotted Lanternfly, which poses an estimated $18 billion-dollar threat to PA's economy.
- More than 1 million people have participated in our shale energy education efforts, which promote environmental protection, economic stability and energy security. These efforts have encouraged additional gas leases worth $250 million, all while supporting best practices to protect the environment.
- Extension utilizes more than 90,000 members and leverages nearly 11,000 volunteers in communities across the state in programs such as 4-H, Master Gardener, Master Well Owner, Master Water Stewards, and Forest Stewards.
- Extension is dedicated to supporting the next generation of farmers through programs such as Start Farming that help beginning producers to establish farms. Our Educators lead workshops that guide families as they to work through the complex steps of transferring ownership of the family farm to the next generation.
- Programs such as Expanded Food and Nutrition Education Program (EFNEP), ServSafe, Cooking for Crowds and Dining with Diabetes works with community individuals to promote healthy eating, exercise and diet to manage common health issues, and promote food-safety skills, both individually and commercially.