Planning & Community Development
The Centre County Planning and Community Development Office provides professional planning services to the citizens, communities and municipalities of Centre County.
We follow and manage a coordinated, cost effective and comprehensive approach to the planned growth and development of Centre County communities.
The Centre County Planning and Community Development Office is responsible for carrying out the duties set forth in the Pennsylvania Municipalities Planning Code (PA Act 247 of 1968, as amended and reenacted through 2017).
On behalf of the Centre County Board of Commissioners, the Planning and Community Development Office endeavors to achieve the following:
- Preparing and updating the Centre County Comprehensive Plan, which includes information about the county’s population; economy; housing; emergency medical services; land use, agricultural and historical preservation; transportation; utilities, broadband communications; government facilities; the community development and block plan program; infrastructure development; recreation, and environmental resources;
- Administering the County’s Subdivision and Land Development Ordinance and receiving, reviewing, and monitoring all plans originating from those municipalities having adopted their own subdivision and land development regulations;
- Administering the Centre County Agricultural Land Preservation Board’s PA Agricultural Conservation Easement (PACE) program in cooperation with the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and participating municipalities. The Board aims to preserve Centre County’s agricultural heritage by protecting its prime farmland from development, its environmental resources, and the identities of its small towns;
- Assisting the County’s 35 municipalities with preparing, modifying or reviewing comprehensive plans, capital improvements, zoning and subdivision ordinances, GIS mapping, the National Flood Insurance Program and other ordinances or services;
- Giving technical planning assistance to the County’s seven regional planning areas;
- In collaboration with other economic development partners throughout Centre County, promoting and assisting efforts that include recruitment, expansion, rehabilitation, and improving business and industry;
- Administering the County’s First Time Home Buyer’s Program as a path to home ownership. Supporting the development of affordable housing and neighborhoods that are free from blight through collaboration with the Centre County Housing and Land Trust and other agencies that are dedicated to the pursuit of affordable housing for our community.
- Representing the County on various committees, boards, and organizations, either through appointment by the Centre County Board of Commissioners or by virtue of being a County Planning Agency;
- Coordinating with the County’s Geographic Information Systems (GIS) office to create and maintain planning datasets published on the County’s websites;
- Offering a variety of technical assistance to various public agencies and organizations including grant writing and administration. As an affiliate of the Pennsylvania State Data Center, the Centre County Planning and Community Development office can procure data on many subjects;
- Providing staff support to Centre County’s Metropolitan Planning Organization (CCMPO), the lead agency responsible for federally funded transportation projects.