Manure Mgt and Ag Erosion and Sedimentation

Manure Management and Agricultural Erosion and Sedimentation Plans

As per Pennsylvania law Chapter 91, all facilities, properties, and farming operations that have animals that produce manure (or import manure) or apply manure and/or agricultural process wastewater to crop fields and pastures MUST have a written Manure Management Plan (MMP). This includes livestock and poultry operations, small hobby farms (sheep, goats, llamas, etc.), and horse owners.

All farming operations that include an Animal Concentration Area (ACA) or pasture must have a written MMP. All farms with crops or ACAs must also have an Agricultural Erosion and Sediment Control Plan meeting the requirements of DEP Chapter 102.

Further, any landowner that disturbs the soil more than 5,000 square feet (~ 1/10 acre, including no till operations) MUST have a written Agricultural Erosion & Sediment Control Plan (Ag E&S Plan) according to Pennsylvania State law. What plans you need depend on several variables within your operation and you can utilize this chart, What Type of Plan Do You Need For Your Farm?, to help you learn what plans you may need.

NOTE: A current USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) Conservation Plan may fulfill this requirement.  The Conservation Plan(s) must include all operated crop fields, current crop rotation, current tillage implemented, and all animal concentration areas larger than 5,000 sq. ft. (addressing resource concerns with scheduled practices if needed).

For farms not defined as Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations (CAFOs) or Concentrated Animal Operations (CAOs), MMPs can be written by the farmer, although the farmer may benefit from getting assistance from the Centre County Conservation District. Your plans do not have to be submitted for approval but must be kept on the farm and made available upon request. If you are unsure whether your operation falls under CAFO or CAO jurisdiction, utilize this chart: Is My Operation A CAFO?

NOTE:  If you have more than 2,000 lbs live animal weight per acre of pasture & crop fields under your control, you may need a PA Act 38 Nutrient Management Plan – contact the Conservation District for more information at 814-355-6817.