- Governmental Resources
- Authorities, Boards & Commissions
- Agricultural Land Preservation Board
Agricultural Land Preservation Board
The creation of the Centre County Agricultural Land Preservation Board in August 1989 signified the County’s full-scale commitment to Pennsylvania’s farmland preservation program. The Centre County Commissioners appointed nine members to the Board in accordance with the provisions contained within Agricultural Area Security Law, PA Act 43 as amended. Since that time, the Commissioners have continued to support the program by providing staff support and matching funds for the purchase of agricultural land conservation easements. To date, the county’s agricultural land preservation program has preserved 59 farm parcels in seven townships—bringing its total acreage for preserved farms to 8,785 acres.
Goals and Objectives
- Administer a program for purchasing agricultural conservation easements in accordance with Act 43 of 1981 as amended and 7 Pa Code 138.
- Preserve the prime agricultural soils of Centre County by purchasing, in the name of the County, or jointly with a Local Government Unit and/or the Commonwealth, agricultural conservation easements within Agricultural Security Areas.
- Promote efforts to support the agricultural community in Centre County by helping landowners steward their farms, adhere to the requirements of their easements, and plan for transitions in their farming operations.
- Encourage the use of additional farmland preservation techniques through public and private organizations in Centre County.
- Centre County Farmland Trust
- Clearwater Conservancy
- Halfmoon Township Open Space Preservation Board
- Western Pennsylvania Conservancy
Agricultural Preservation Coordinator
Email Diana Griffith
The Centre County Agricultural Land Preservation Board typically meets at 7:30 pm the fourth Thursday of the month, except when otherwise noted.
The Centre County Agricultural Land Preservation Board will hold a special meeting to select the top ranked applicants for farmland preservation in 2023. The meeting will be held at 7:30 pm Thursday, May 4, 2023, in Room 146 of the Willowbank Building, 420 Holmes St., Bellefonte, PA 16823. The meetings originally scheduled for April 27 and May 25 are cancelled. The May 4th Special Meeting will take the place of those meetings.
For more information, please contact Diana Griffith, Planner - Centre County Agricultural Land Preservation, at email@example.com, or (814) 355-6791.
View Meeting Schedule
View Meeting Agendas & Minutes
2022 PACE Program Annual Report
The nine members appointed by the Board of Commissioners include four farmers, one township supervisor or borough council member, one commercial, industrial or residential building contractor, and three other members. The Commissioners appoint the Board's chair to serve a one-year term. From the membership, the Board annually elects its vice chair, secretary and treasurer at the January organizational meeting.
|Members||Member Category||Term Expires|
|Joseph Homan||Other||August 31, 2025|
|Dennis E. Buffington||Municipal Official||August 31, 2023|
|Thomas E. Boldin, Chair||Farmer||August 31, 2025|
|Joel Myers||Farmer||August 31, 2025|
|Ronald J. Hoover, Secretary||Farmer||August 31, 2024|
|Ralph Wheland, Treasurer||Other||August 31, 2023|
|James Heckman||Other||August 31, 2023|
|Thomas F. Songer, III, Vice Chair||Contractor||August 31, 2024|
|Cindy B. Harding||Farmer||August 31, 2024|
|Centre County Commissioners, Vice Chair Amber Concepcion||Ex Officio|