Happy Valley Vineyard and Winery, Ferguson Township
The Agricultural Area Security Law, 3 P.S. § 901 et seq., requires an Agricultural Conservation Easement shall not prevent customary part-time or off season minor or rural enterprises and activities that are provided for in the Centre County Agricultural Conservation Easement Purchase Program approved by the State Board, 3 P.S. § 914 (c)(6)(v).
The following guidelines are applicable to all Agricultural Conservation Easements acquired under the Agricultural Area Security law.
Centre County's Rural Enterprise Provisions permit customary part-time or off-season minor or rural enterprises and activities defined as customary, supportive and agriculturally compatible uses of farm properties in Centre County, Pennsylvania, and are limited to the following:
1. The direct sale to the public of agricultural products produced principally on the farm;
2. Any and all structures contributing to the production, primary processing, direct marketing and storage of agricultural products produced principally on the farm;
3. Structures associated with the production of energy for use principally on the farm including wind, solar, hydroelectric, methane, wood, alcohol fuel, and fossil fuel systems and structures and facilities for the storage and treatment of animal waste;
4. The provision of services or production and sale, principally by persons in residence, of agricultural goods, services, supplies and repairs and/or the conduct of traditional trades and the production and sale of home occupation goods, arts and crafts, so long as these uses remain incidental to the agricultural and open space character of the farm and are limited to occupying or adjoining residential and/or principally agricultural structures of the Property; limited in site coverage to one-half of one percent of the area of the Property;
5. Structures and facilities associated with irrigation, farm pond impoundment, and soil and water conservation;
6. The accommodation of tourists and visitors within principally family residential and/or agricultural structures otherwise permitted under the law so long as the accommodation of tourists and visitors is undertaken as a part-time or off-season minor or rural enterprise and is incidental to the agricultural and open space character of the Property;
7. Agriculture-related services or activities associated with customary part-time or off-season minor rural enterprises and activities (such as corn mazes, hay rides and farm tours,) incidental to agricultural production. These services and activities are permissible as long as they remain incidental to agricultural and open space character of the farm. NO excavation, paving, graveling, construction or permanent structures or other activities that would diminish the productive capacity of the soils are permitted in conjunction with such activities. The County Board reserves the right to review and approve these activities on a case by case basis.
8. The State Agricultural Land Preservation Board approved and authorized on 7/13/00 the use of any conservation practice under CRP/CREP as not violating the Deed of Agricultural Conservation Easement with respect to restricted land, provided the conservation plan, as revised, allows for the implementation of any such conservation practices.
9. Other similar uses upon written approval of the Centre County Agricultural Land Preservation Board and State Agricultural Land Preservation Board.
Meyer Dairy Store, College Township
Centre County Rural Enterprise Provisions