Recovering Financial Loss


A restitution claim form will be provided to you to be returned to Victim/Witness Services. It is your responsibility to complete and return this form in a timely manner. Restitution information must be available at the time of sentencing for the Judge to order it. The Defendant will have the term of their sentence to pay the restitution.

Payments will be made to the Probation Department and then a check will be sent to the victim. Restitution can be a very lengthy process. The Adult Probation Office is responsible for ensuring that the Defendant makes their payments.

If the Defendant is incarcerated in the Centre County Correctional Facility or a State Correctional Facility, you may not receive any payments until after he/she is released.

More information regarding the collection and disbursements of restitution payments can be obtained by calling the Centre County Probation Department at (814) 355-6771.

Crime Victims Compensation Assistance Program

If awarded, this program may cover any funeral expenses, un-reimbursed medical expenses, loss of wages or support or loss of the ability to earn wages as a result of bodily injury from a crime. In some cases counseling expenses may also be covered. Pain, suffering, and property losses are not covered. The program requires that:

  • The crime occurred in Pennsylvania
  • A report was made to law enforcement within 72 hours after the crime occurred
  • The victim must cooperate with law enforcement, the courts and the compensation program
  • The claim must be filed within 2 years of the discovery of the crime.