What can I do if I think someone I know has a drug or alcohol problem?
As a person becomes dependent on alcohol or other drugs, he or she develops the ability to deny that there is a problem. A person has to be willing to change the behaviors and stop his/her drug or alcohol use. Candid discussion with the person is important. Talk about your concerns and encourage him/her to seek treatment. Offer information about where to get treatment. Do a self-assessment with him/her (see question 5).

If the person refuses to get the intensive treatment needed, he/she might be willing to start with outpatient services. This may be the first step in the right direction. It is important that you not blame yourself for the person's behavior or decision to use alcohol or other drugs.

Show All Answers

1. I do not have any health insurance. How can I get treatment for myself or my family member's substance abuse problem?
2. My health insurance will not pay for drug and alcohol treatment – what should I do?
3. What can I do if I think someone I know has a drug or alcohol problem?
4. What are Twelve-Step Programs?
5. How can I tell if my substance use is problematic?
6. How can I tell if my child has a drug or alcohol problem?
7. What is Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder?
8. What is Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome (NAS)?
9. What is codependency? Does your office fund outpatient services for codependents?
10. Are prescription or over-the-counter (OTC) medications addictive?
11. My church group or community organization is interested in a speaker to address alcohol, tobacco and other drug issues. Who should I call?